You are currently browsing posts tagged with Sweet Beats
Reasons why French beatmaker Onra is my obsession:
- SPEX (obvs)
- Hot-ass variety beats
- Lickable likeable French accent
- Chinoiseries (rel. 2007), the widely-lauded, smooth-souled, crackly, interpretation of 30 old Chinese and Vietnamese vinyl albums he lugged home to Paris from a trip to Vietnam
- Dead sexy, head to toe. Even his fingers are sexy. I want to [blank] them.
- Latest full-length: Long Distance (rel. 2010), which can best be described fun, funky, funky, funky, flirty, fresh
- Forthcoming Chinoiseries Pt. 2
- Occasional beard
- merveilleuse vie paresseuse
- Given name: Arnaud (say it aloud, reverse it; you’ve got his stage name)
- Half-Vietnamese, half-French, he is the human equivalent of my two favorite comestibles: cà phê sữa đá and bánh mì
- Love of cigarettes, basketball, vinyl rekkids, computers, joints
- Inclination and ability to sample and build albums with respect to the source material’s societal context, while avoiding the pitfalls of politicizing his tuneage. Always, the music remains deeply, easily individual. Howdoyoosay, “Onra tracks are like a travel diary, joining the artist in a lighthearted pursuit for cultural and personal identity?”
Filed under: Arnaud Bernard, Awesome Spex, Awesomeness, Banh Mi, Beards Are Hot, Ca Phe Sua Da, Chinoiseries, Cigarettes, DJs, French Guys, French Vietnamese Peeps, Hot Asian Men, Lo-Fi, Obsessions, Onra, Onra Long Distance, Parisiasians, Sweet Beats, Travel Diaries, Vinyl Records
Our friends in Cavil at Rest introduced us to the soft and sweet strums of the adorable Texasian Kina Grannis. Angry Asian Man loves her, and so do we. What’s not to love–beautiful face, cultural variety, a soft twang in her gentle voice?
Grannis is currently a Top 3 Finalist in a contest called Crash the Superbowl, which results in a cool indie artist’s video being run during the big game. Let’s show her some love and win it for her, shall we? The thought of any of those other nerds taking the prize kinda gives me food-poisoning-style-nausea.