You are currently browsing posts tagged with Piano Players
The LA Times just published a lengthy profile about X Japan, a wildly successful J-rock metal band led by charismatic pianist-drummer Yoshiki (pictured above), that will attempt the leap from Japanese superstardom to American mainstream when they join the Lollapalooza tour this summer.
Why I know I already ♥ X Japan:
- The band flanks a HEAVY METAL PIANIST-DRUMMER.
- Hello Kitty produced a likeness of said heavy metal pianist-drummer, the only so far created for a human being. (Ed. note—Hi Sanrio! Jen and I are tooooootally open to having Kitty versions of ourselves!)
- Yoshiki is apparently Bono-esque, and X Japan aspires to be Metallica-esque, yet they’re probably–most accurately–KISS-esque.
- The early X Japan aesthetic appears to be a hybrid of early Mötley Crüe and Poison, but with almond eyes, so they look like the rockstars I wanted to be when I was a kid.
- Every time I hear the words, “Arena Rock,” my personal areas get warm.
- LAT refers to Yoshiki as a “fevered multitasker and established brand unto himself in Asia,” which means he is a) totally Asian and b) pretty AMAZIAN!
- We need somebody to freak out over other than Rain.
Filed under: Big in Japan, Crossover, Hello Kitty, I So Fucking Love Hair Metal, Lollapalooza, Makeup Men, Metal, Metallica, Pianist-Drummers Or Drummer-Pianists, Piano Players, Sanrio, Superstars, X Japan, Yoshiki
Happy birthday to honorasian Elton John, who turned 63 today!
Why Hardass Asian ladies love Elton:
* He, like all grownup Asian ladies, loves bedazzled evening outfits.
* File Under: Easy Listening
* 5 Grammy awards, an Academy Award, a Golden Globe Award and a Tony Award. (Who cares if you don’t watch the Tonys? It’s an award!)
* A distinct love for tiny dancers.
* Five important words: Was friends with Princess Diana.
* He turned those piano lessons into somethin‘!
* Guaranteed to rally for karaoke.
* He gives songs as gifts. And by jove, H.A.L.s love presents!!!
Filed under: Bedazzler, Best Kinds Of Friends, Best of the Best, Careers In Piano, Elton John, Honorasians, Karaoke, Musicians, Piano, Piano Lessons Are Required, Piano Players, Presents, Princess Diana, Singers, Tiny Dancers