You are currently browsing posts tagged with Figure Skaters
After the 1998 Winter Olympics, Michelle Kwan famously told Bob Costas:
“People ask me how it feels to lose the gold. I tell them, I didn’t lose the gold; I won the silver.”
Which, like, does not compute for those of us raised to believe that second place is First Loser and is typically grounds for revoking somebody’s Asian card, only it’s Michelle Kwan we’re talking about here, who’s, like everybody’s favorite little sister.
But Kwan’s 30(!) now, if you can believe it, and judging by her appearance at last night’s White House state dinner held in honor of Chinese President Hu Jintao, everybody’s favorite little sis is all growed up.
And she finally took the gold! I mean…DAYUM.
Filed under: Asian American Olympians, Chinese-Americans, EPIC WIN, Figure Skaters, Going For the Gold, Hu Jintao White House State Dinner, Hu Jintao White House Visit, I Usually Hate Those Herve Leger Bandage Dresses But Homegirl Is Rocking It, Michelle Kwan, Michelle Kwan Gold, Michelle Kwan Looking Hot, Michelle Kwan Silver, Olympians, Olympics, Skaters' Figures, White House Chinese State Dinner, White House State Dinner, Who's Who
There really isn’t anything we don’t love about the figure skater, who placed fourth at the Winter Games. We love that she’s from our neck of the woods (SGV, Holla!). We love her face, her crazy-high cheekbones and the way her eyes crinkle when she smiles, which she does a lot. We love how devoted Mirai is to her mama, who’s been battling thyroid cancer. (Of her mother’s prognosis, she’s said, “They say there’s an 80 percent chance of her being cured. But that 20 percent is still something to think about. It’s like getting a B on a test. It’s good but not the best.” We love that, too, OBVS.) And we love that she’s accomplished so much at such a tender age.
Waitaminute. No we don’t.
Because going to your first Olympics, and–despite the naysayers (ahem, Sasha “Bitter Much” Cohen) and the nonstop Queen Yu-Na hype–performing quite beautifully while presenting yourself as the future of figure skating at SIXTEEN when you should be, like, getting wasted on Captain Morgan’s Rum outside a suburban 7-11 or having your thumbs fall off because you’re texting your stupid friends all day long…well, that just makes the rest of us who are much older, much less Olympic, and much more dependent on alcohol look really really baaaaaaaaad.
So maybe there’s one thing we don’t love about Mirai Nagasu. If she were just a little less perfect, she’d be um what’s the word oh right…perfect.
Would you consider working on that in your 17th year, Mirai?
In the meantime, happy birthday, you adorable little showoff!
Filed under: 2010 Olympics, Adorableness On Skates, Arcadia CA, Birthdays, Californiasians, Figure Skaters, Gifted Teens, Ice Skating, Mirai Nagasu, Olympians, Overachievers, People Who Make Us Look Bad, San Gabriel Valley, Teenage Olympians, Teens, the Olympics, Vancouver Winter Olympics, Winter Olympics