You are currently browsing posts tagged with Cigarettes
Reasons why French beatmaker Onra is my obsession:
- SPEX (obvs)
- Hot-ass variety beats
- Lickable likeable French accent
- Chinoiseries (rel. 2007), the widely-lauded, smooth-souled, crackly, interpretation of 30 old Chinese and Vietnamese vinyl albums he lugged home to Paris from a trip to Vietnam
- Dead sexy, head to toe. Even his fingers are sexy. I want to [blank] them.
- Latest full-length: Long Distance (rel. 2010), which can best be described fun, funky, funky, funky, flirty, fresh
- Forthcoming Chinoiseries Pt. 2
- Occasional beard
- merveilleuse vie paresseuse
- Given name: Arnaud (say it aloud, reverse it; you’ve got his stage name)
- Half-Vietnamese, half-French, he is the human equivalent of my two favorite comestibles: cà phê sữa đá and bánh mì
- Love of cigarettes, basketball, vinyl rekkids, computers, joints
- Inclination and ability to sample and build albums with respect to the source material’s societal context, while avoiding the pitfalls of politicizing his tuneage. Always, the music remains deeply, easily individual. Howdoyoosay, “Onra tracks are like a travel diary, joining the artist in a lighthearted pursuit for cultural and personal identity?”
Filed under: Arnaud Bernard, Awesome Spex, Awesomeness, Banh Mi, Beards Are Hot, Ca Phe Sua Da, Chinoiseries, Cigarettes, DJs, French Guys, French Vietnamese Peeps, Hot Asian Men, Lo-Fi, Obsessions, Onra, Onra Long Distance, Parisiasians, Sweet Beats, Travel Diaries, Vinyl Records
I, like everyone else, am horrified by the sight of this very young child lighting and smoking a cigarette [via Videogum]–with the experienced hand of an ancient, alcoholic writer, no less–while in the care of adults:
(Okay, guys, I know this is fucked up, but am I the only one that’s a teeny weeny weeny eeny weeny bit impressed by his smooth lighting technique, cool exhale, and aloof slouch? Just askin’.)
Happy 18th birthday to Mao Asada, who is currently the top-ranked figure skater in the world! We truly envy all of the achievements you’ve tucked under your belt before today–no, wait, we envy your skinny legs and ability to live out our mothers’ gold-medal ice dreams. Augh!
Come visit us in America! You’re old enough to buy cigarettes and watch dirty movies here; what better way to celebrate?