You are currently browsing posts tagged with Centenarians
The world’s oldest person, Kama Chinen of Okinawa, Japan, died Sunday, a week short of her 115th birthday. Chinen was also the 28th oldest person ever and the 25th oldest woman ever. In April, she became the last person born in 1895 who was still alive.
To put this in perspective, here are a few other things that were happening in 1895 (via Wikipedia):
- The game of volleyball is invented
- Alfred Nobel signs his last will and testament, setting aside his estate to establish this little thing called the Nobel Prize
- W.E.B. Du Bois becomes the first African American to receive his Ph.D. from Harvard
- China is still being ruled by the Qing Dynasty
And other people born in 1895 include Babe Ruth, Buster Keaton, and J. Edgar Hoover. You know, people who have been really dead for a really long time?
The oldest living person is now believed to be 114 year-old Eugenie Blanchard of France.
Here’s the story on the lady pictured below, Mek Wok Kundor:
- She’s Malaysian.
- She’s 107 years old.
- She has been married 22 times (so far).
- She doesn’t kiss and tell–Kundor won’t talk about her former husbands (whom she has lost to both death and divorce) or her kids.
- She is currently estranged from her husband (#22), who is 37.
- She separated from the 37-year-old dude because he had to go into rehab.
- Worried that he may return from rehab sober and itchin’ for a younger chick, Kundor has her sights set on a man 57 years her junior–a potential husband #23.
- She plans to visit her hubby (Possible reconnection?) in rehab, which is in Kuala Lumpur. She just needs a ride.
- I couldn’t possibly make this up.
- Something tells me (maybe it’s the dozens of hubbies, love of younger dudes, and certainty that she’ll soon find a brand new lover) that Mek Wok Kundor is an incredible lay. You may not like to read that, and I may not like to write it, but neither of us can deny that it’s probably true.
- Add it all up, and this bitch is the sexiest, baddest bitch in the East! Don’t hate a player!!
A 107 year-old woman in China who has never married announced recently that she now wants to tie the knot, ideally with a fellow centenarian. Wang Guiying told the Chongqing Commercial Times that she was frightened of getting married when she was younger, because she always saw her uncles and other men go all Ike Turner on their wives. She lived on her own and worked as a farmer until she was 74 and too weak to work in the fields, at which point she went to live with a nephew. But that arrangement has become less and less ideal.
“My nephews and nieces are getting older and their children are already tied up with their own families and I am becoming more and more of a burden,” she said.
Hmm. Sounds less hopelessly romantic than totally guilt-trippy. We wouldn’t exactly call public shaming the best man-trap, and normally we’d say a marriage with such a Hardass Asian Biddy is doomed, but something tells us that union, if it ever happens, isn’t going to last, um, that long anyway.
(I KNOW. WE’RE EVIL.)