Look Ma, DISGRASIAN’s On Nightline!

October 17th, 2011 | 12 comments | Posted by Jen

I did an interview a while back with Nightline about the rise of Asian models in the fashion industry, and it aired last Friday. I was the “cynical” voice in the story (naturally). Watch it here:

One of the best things about doing this interview was getting my parents’ reactions to it. They’ve been watching Nightline for about 30 years, and it’s a name-brand they feel they can trust (along the lines of “Harvard” and “Mercedes-Benz”). Here’s an excerpt from the email I received from my dad after:

“OMG,” my Hardass Asian Dad approves!

[ABC News: New Face of Fashion: Asian Models]

Filed under:

12 Responses to “Look Ma, DISGRASIAN’s On Nightline!”

AWESOME!! Plus you were AWESOME!! Did I say AWESOME? Yep AWESOME!

2. TMK says:

1) My wife says “OMG Jen is way more attractive than that model.”

2) They subtitled Liu Wen’s English, just because she has a bit of an accent? I hate that.

@TMK I love your wife!!!

4. KGee says:

you were great! Thanks for representin’

5. CeciWang says:

Congratulations! We enjoyed watching you on Night-Line and so proud of you.

1) I totally agree with TMK’s wife about “OMG Jen is way more attractive than that model”.

2) On top of it all, Jen gave very intelligent and interesting observations of the current Asian Models situation. Her talking during the interview was SUPER!

3) In her growing up years, even with little clothes budget. She always has a sense of fashion, dress with great style. In any occasion, she has always present herself very beautifully.

Funny; while watching I was TOTALLY like, “OMG, Jen is on Nightline!”

7. DMan says:

Diana, you got to out do Jen and go on a talk show now. Lol!
    Hey Jen you think if they showed the Asian models more diversely in Vogue, then it would be a better representation? Then you wouldn’t get to voice your opinion and counter arguements more longer on Nightline. Haha! Otherwise Good work Jen.

8. Any way you cut it, Liu Wen is a great beauty, but you made the most (only?) salient point in this piece: it’s all about the benjamins. Congrats!

9. turkfontaine says:

U R right, Jen. follow the money. follow it to China. as far as the “rise” of Asian beauty as the standard, the fashion industry is slow on the uptake. just look at any high school in the country for the last 20 years; every blue eyed corn husker on the football team wants an Asian girlfriend. (and not just to do their homework for them either)

10. bethskillman says:

Honestly surprised it took this long to see Asian models with the rise of China as the second largest market for luxury goods (soon to be first). You could also ask the question – do Asian women aspire to be like western women when they buy luxury goods (and therefore using Asian models could backfire)? It makes me really curious about the insider thought around models. It’s really two discussions – 1) why are fashion houses suddenly focusing on Asian models? and 2) Is the way this trend is being reported in the fashion media racist? I love fashion, but I despise narrow definitions of beauty. Oh, and the subtitles for Liu Wen – seriously?

11. jgotmilk says:

One of the best parts of that video was the action shots of you typing!! It was awesome. It’s like; that’s what you look like when you’re blogging; all intense and serious and stuff. Well done! It had a Social Network feel to it.

Also, what you said was awesome and correct too! Good job!