Proof Positive Hipsters Will Buy Anything That Makes Them Look Like Assholes

July 29th, 2011 | 16 comments | Posted by Jen

I’ve been seeing white people wearing rice paddy hats around town lately and had begun to wonder if Los Angeles was making some sort of shift into an agrarian society?

But now I understand.

Presenting Rice Paddy Hats for Hipsters! For fifteen real dollars!

A reader tipped us off to this and wondered if this wasn’t some racist foolery and were we mad at it, but I say naw. The person who buys this hat is a victim. A victim of fashion, of no SPF being high enough to protect their melanin-challenged skin, of Dov Charney and his twisted sense of everything, and, most likely, a victim of fetal alcohol syndrome and its attendant lifelong impairment of judgment.

In other words, I pity the fool.

[American Apparel: Conical Asian Hat]

Thanks, Vincent!

Filed under: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

16 Responses to “Proof Positive Hipsters Will Buy Anything That Makes Them Look Like Assholes”

1. Vinzentea says:

Thanks Jen for writing about this! I got a good kick out of it. I think I was more shock by the fact that American Apparel (of all clothing line) is attempting to showcase to consumers that they are “multi-cultural” orient. I guess I was even more surprised that the hat was $15 where I can get that for $1.50 at a local Chinatown.

I pity the fool as well.

Shake the nunchucks,
    Vincent

Thanks for the tip, Vincent!

3. serpentor says:

I usually assume the hats are a smug world traveler’s talisman. The Vietnam version of Jamaica’s “I just got back from vacation, check out my corn rows.”

4. serpentor says:

If it is any consolation, they also appear to stock overpriced sombreros, for that “oh my god I was so drunk I don’t even remember going to Tijuana, but I must have!” look.

5. bigg_truxx says:

The gym teacher at my school wears one outdoors. It looks cool and keeps the sun out of his eyes. He is black. Any of you “anti-hipster” hipsters have a problem with that? If so, proceed to Netflix, rent something by Wes Anderson and masturbate yourself to sleep.

6. [...] American Apparel is selling rice paddy hats as ”Conical Asian Hats” for $15 USD. (Disgrasian) [...]

@bigg_truxx Gosh, I would but nothing by Wes Anderson is available streaming, and by the time I get the disc in the mail I’m usually no longer in the mood to masturbate myself to sleep. Fucking Netflix!

8. noneinaye says:

Darjeeling Express = Eat, Pray , Love for hipsters.

@noneinaye YASSS.

10. RhodyRed says:

Leaving aside the fact that American Apparel is selling them, I’ll go on record as saying that I own and use a rice paddy hat while gardening to protect my glowing white dome. I may look like a dork but skin cancer ain’t no joke and if it has been good enough for Asia for 5,000 years, who am I not to follow their example.

@RhodyRed Wearing this hat while gardening seems totally appropriate. I just hope you didn’t actually buy it at American Apparel and get fleeced.

@Rhody and @Jen My Hardass Asian Mama wears two kinds of hats for gardening… a conical one (from the homeland, not from AA), and a sombrero I brought home in high school from a Mexican restaurant called Chevy’s. She looks pretty good in both!

Well, yeah, D, your mom is also a hipster.

14. rockmanj says:

That reminds me…I need to pick one of these up (or a sombrero, and not from A.A.) for my gardening purposes. Regular straw hats no longer fit me sadly. Knowing the people I am around, I will be accused of being a racist of some sort.

15. [...] by WP Greet Box WordPress PluginFrom Racialicious: “The good women from Disgrasian have pointed out that American Apparel is selling a rice paddy hat for $15. I’m a little surprised it has taken [...]

16. [...] Man commented, “I suppose they could have the obvious route and given the kid a stylish Conical Asian Hat. But they avoided that by somehow going with something even more ridiculous”. A bad move on [...]