Post-Father’s Day: The Truth About My Hardass Asian Father

June 20th, 2011 | 8 comments | Posted by Jen

Forget Tiger Moms. Growing up, it was my Hardass Asian Dad who was the scary one with all of the obscure rules. No comedies. No cheerleading. No shirts down to there or skirts up to here. Math workbooks and book reports over the summer. Scientific American as required reading–in the 3rd grade. Awkward hugs, if you were lucky, but mostly firm patting on the shoulder and back to show affection.

He could cut you with a look. He could give you the silent treatment for days, weeks even.

And yet, over time, he’s the one who’s gone soft. He’s the one who sends the corny e-cards. He’s the one who cries when my parents watch Korean soap operas together while my Mom gently pokes fun at him. He’s the one who melts at the sight of babies. Even as I write this, he’s downstairs in my house having a Downton Abbey viewing marathon, I shit you not.

Who knew that my Hardass Asian Dad would become this guy?

Cuddly, gentle, hooked on Masterpiece Classics.

The hugs, though, they’re still awkward, so at least I know aliens didn’t snatch his body.

Happy Father’s Day, Dad, you Hardass-Turned-Softie! And to all of you other daddies out there–hardass or no!

Like my Dad’s shirt? It’s from the brilliant and talented Martin Hsu. Buy it HERE.

Filed under: , , , , , , , , , ,

8 Responses to “Post-Father’s Day: The Truth About My Hardass Asian Father”

1. [...] The post is hilarious and you can read it HERE! [...]

2. peace says:

You mean I wasn’t the only kid having to do math workbooks during summer break? Where were you when I was so alone?!

@peace Alone!

4. TruePhillyCheeseSteak says:

This post reminds me of the one a couple months ago of the happiest man in the world – a Chinese Jewish entrepreneur married to a white woman. I hope my father can aspire to true happiness. Happy Father’s Day!

5. rameyko says:

My summer workbooks were home school textbooks innocently purchased from Bob Jones University by my mother, who had no idea why most people know Bob Jones. I distinctly remember the awkward attempts to combine religious teachings with lessons about sine, cosine, and tangent.

@ramey HAHA–dude, we’ve had parallel lives. The Texas-Yale Hardass Asian Connexion.

7. vbunny says:

This is scary accurate of my dad too.