ROCK OF ASIAN: New Year, New Jane Lui Rekkid!

January 5th, 2011 | 7 comments | Posted by Diana

Y’all how much we love ourselves some Jane Lui. And since the moment she began fundraising for her third record, we’ve been slobbering, aching, begging to hear her sweet voice singing some sleek new tunes.

Well, that moment is finally here! Lui’s self-released third and full-length LP, Goodnight Company, arrived just before the holidays and is basically the only thing I’ve listened to for two weeks. [You too can join in the fun by downloading the album off of her site for (!!!) for free.]

It’s only fitting that Goodnight Company should arrive just as the world rounds the corner into a new year and possibility-filled decade, as it reflects a fresh start, new chapter and tonal shift for the seasoned singer/songwriter. Lui has frequently lent her silky voice to moody ballads and soft, acoustic confessions, but she’s clearly transitioned into a more womanly self–one with a spark to her step, one with gutsy grit, one with little fear of her offbeat and unexpected sexiness.

“Jailcard” is the album’s first single, if you will, or certainly the most likely candidate for the role (see the official music video, and her funky smooves, above). The track showcases Lui’s finest qualities, notably refined–sophisticated lyrics, sultry technique, an impressive vocal range–enhanced with an infectious dance beat and and undeniable lightness.

But the song is in fine (ahem) company: the title track is my favorite indie-spirited chorus of the bunch, and is flanked by true gems in “New Jersey” (a strong R&B ode), “Southern Winds” (a dainty homage), “Perished” (a cool and breathy ballad), and an endearing cover of the iconic show tune “Edelweiss,” which dances gently and aptly between being surprisingly modern and respectfully classic.

Though Lui may have bid us all good night, this album feels quite a bit like an bright new awakening. So, so, so worth the wait.

Filed under: , , , , , , , ,

7 Responses to “ROCK OF ASIAN: New Year, New Jane Lui Rekkid!”

1. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by DISGRASIAN™, Jane Lui and others. Jane Lui said: whooa…Thank you @disgrasian for the ROCK OF ASIAN title! http://dlvr.it/Cl4L6 [...]

2. karlk9 says:

Thanks Jen and Diana. I just downloaded Jane’s album. She’s got a very nice,clear, lyric voice and a style that reminds me a little of Tori Amos. I was going to leave a tip for the artist, but there was no paypal option.

3. Maeko says:

I love Jane so hard. She’s one of the few artists I can actually have the honor of calling a friend.

And I think this is definitely her best work yet!

Love this album and proud to be an official Janiemonster!

5. Agnes says:

What an amazing music video! I downloaded the album, and I have to say, I’m really impressed with the exposure-as-payment model for the download. It’s pretty genius. Now I’m off to listen to the rest of the album! Thanks for the link!

6. farleyk says:

Ah, Jane. I remember the first time I heard about her on this very blog. I subsequently spent oodles of hours on YouTube, watching all that she’s produced. Just a few of the reasons she’s awesome:

- Occasionally sings in Portuguese, an absolutely luscious language.
    - I really have no tolerance for The Sound of Music (sorry, Mom), but her version of Edelweiss compels me to love it. And I do.
    - The hand-written notes on the earlier videos are just so adorable.

All in all, a visit to LuieLand warms your heart.

7. swifty says:

love jane so so much. i had the pleasure of seeing her in new york a few months ago, one word: dope.

AND jane is the reason i found out about this blog! :)