Sometimes The Best Gifts Are The Ones You Give Yourself

October 20th, 2010 | 7 comments | Posted by Diana

I have two male cousins that were born to and raised by the most intense woman I’ve ever met–my mom’s oldest sister. She’s my tough-as-nails, crazy-as-a-chicken, Hardass Asian Aunt and one Meanass Asian Mom. She probably thinks General McChrystal is a total pussy. Lady is intense.

In my aunt’s house, no drinks were consumed by children before their entire dinner (like a two-gallon bowl of Pho) was completely finished. Football games were not attended. Slumber parties were off limits. Piano was practiced at least two hours a day.  The icing on the cake? No birthdays were celebrated, either. No parties, no presents, nothin’.

I always imagined that if I had grown up in that house, I would have spent most of my time huddled in my bedroom, pretending to study or folding my clothes. In my alone time I would’ve thrown myself countless imaginary birthday parties, given myself infinite imaginary gifts, blown out hundreds of imaginary birthday candles. Why? Because sometimes it’s nice to celebrate being alive.

Anyway, the moral of this story is… well, there is no moral. And, to be perfectly honest, my parents threw me lots of nice birthday parties, and as a result I have blown out A LOT of trick candles in my day. I didn’t have to throw myself imaginary parties. But that doesn’t mean I can’t give myself a birthday present, because dammit, it’s my birthday today! Woohoo!

And I give myself… LANCE:

Oh, I love him! Thank you, thank you, thank you, Diana!

[via BoingBoing]
[YouTube: What a Wonderful World - ukulele with Lance :) ]

Thanks, Jasmine!

Filed under: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

7 Responses to “Sometimes The Best Gifts Are The Ones You Give Yourself”

1. jozjozjoz says:

Happy happy happy, Diana Diana Diana!

<3 <3 <3,
    Joz Joz Joz

2. BusyDad says:

Let me be the first person on your site to wish you a happy birthday! I tried to pick out a birthday cake but they were all too sweet.

3. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by DISGRASIAN™, J A S M I N E, jozjozjoz, Asian Angel, jasminedavila and others. jasminedavila said: RT @disgrasian Sometimes The Best Gifts Are The Ones You Give Yourself http://dlvr.it/7J8c1 [...]

4. swifty says:

happy birthday, diana!

5. johnminh says:

Happy birthday, Diana! And thanks for sharing Lance!

Thank you so much, guys! What a great day. oxo

7. yellOHpride says:

Happy Birthday Diana!! I love the vid!