ROCK OF ASIAN: Pre-Order Far East Movement’s ‘Free Wired’

October 6th, 2010 | 11 comments | Posted by Diana

Los Angeles saw its hottest day on record last Monday, which was a sweltering 113 (or more) degrees, and threw Angelenos into a boiled-over frenzy–cars broke down, traffic patterns frenzied, tempers were high but energy low, the population went totally stir crazy. It was a united meltdown, chaotic yet laconic, awful for many but also kind of amazing.

With so many landscapes, cultures, alternate routes, neighborhoods and communities, it’s rare for a place as big and disconnected as L.A. to experience a shared moment like that–but on this occasion, everyone seemed to come out on the other side of 113° bearing the same post-brush-with-death orgasmic flush, and breathing a sigh of relief. Today, it’s raining for the third day straight, with grey clouds hovering over the latitudinal 10 freeway, but most of us are still remembering and tasting the maddened sweat from that burning day.

Listening to the major label debut of LA darlings Far East Movement, Free Wired (Interscope), I can’t help but think about one word: heat. The album, which will be released on October 12, is scorching, like a Korean BBQ grill or Sichuan peppercorns or a day so igneous in Los Angeles that it’s worth writing about. It’s hot on the charts–”Like A G6,” the record’s first single, has already claimed the #1 spot on iTunes and #6 rank of the Billboard Top 10 (BTW, note to ‘Billboard’ writer Michael Menachem: the four members of FEM are not all KoreanAm!). It’s hot in your mouth (try whispering along to “Girls On The Dance Floor” without feeling a little dirrty). And since you can’t listen to the LP’s ten electro-hop tracks without grinding your pelvis on something, you’re bound to get little sweaty, wetty and warm, as well.

And that’s what’s so amazing about Free Wired. Even if you’re convinced you hate slick hip hop beats, VD-catchy pop licks and electronic details, I challenge you to fight this sexy trip to the Far East. It’s bound to leave everyone in its path with a post-orgasmic flush and a burning kiss mark they won’t soon forget.

Pre-order Free Wired, available Oct. 12, on Amazon here.

[Far East Movement - Official Site]

Filed under: , , , , , , , ,

11 Responses to “ROCK OF ASIAN: Pre-Order Far East Movement’s ‘Free Wired’”

1. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Jasmine D, jasminedavila. jasminedavila said: RT @disgrasian ROCK OF ASIAN: Pre-Order Far East Movement’s ‘Free Wired’ http://dlvr.it/6dt5g [...]

2. Hello Kitty says:

Love these dudes. They were mentioned on NPR last Friday. They’re playing Toad’s Place (New Haven, CT) this Saturday. I want to hitch a ride with my 18 year old son and his buddies. Will they let me go if I wear disguise, promise not to walk with them? Ah, no way.

@Hello Kitty OMG TOAD’S. The memories. You live in New Haven???

You two consistently deliver with some great writing from all directions, but every so often you swing the hammer high and cling the bell. This was fantastic Diana!

5. Hello Kitty says:

@Jen,
    No, I live in “Bankersville”. You an Eli?

@Cindy You are simply too kind, mon ami.

@Hello Kitty Uh-huh.

8. BusyDad says:

@Jen hahaha! way to rock the Asian. And I still like you even though I went to your rival school.

@BusyDad You mean Harvard? The way I see it, two schools can’t be rivals when neither of them has a decent football team!

10. Kristina says:

I heard about Far East Movement from Wong Fu Productions! They’re both great!

11. Le says:

Ah I first heard about these guys in like 2004 or 05 when all they had was their mixtape. I’m proud to say I got to work/network with their manager briefly through 07 and 08. Amazing how far these guys have come along in just a few yrs!!!