AMAZIAN OF THE WEEK! Chen Wei-yih, A Taiwanese Woman Engaged To Marry Herself

October 25th, 2010 | 9 comments | Posted by Diana

Name: Chen Wei-yih

Age: 30

Occupation: Office Worker

Known for: Committing herself to Number One by proposing… to herself. Chen wants to puncture the perception of single women as something to look down on–so at age 30, having not yet met anyone else she wants to spend her life with, she has decided to marry her own bad self.

From HuffPo:

For the 30-year-old Taipei resident, there will be no Prince Charming, no tuxedoed groom. In an effort to defy the traditional Asian perception of single, independent women as failures, Chen says she will marry herself.

“Age 30 is a prime period for me,” Chen is quoted by Reuters as saying. “My work and experience are in good shape, but I haven’t found a partner, so what can I do?”

Chen’s gutsy endeavor has picked up a hefty amount of web traction, with netizens flocking to her Facebook page of cute-as-hell pre-wedding photos by the thousands. But keep in mind that hers should not be confused with some sort of disgruntled position on men, relationships, or marriage. “It’s not that I’m anti-marriage,” she told Reuters. “I just hope that I can express a different idea within the bounds of a tradition.”

And so she has, even if she had to win over her Hardass Asian Mom over as part of the process. We have to admit, she’s so ballsy and awesome that we kinda want to marry her.

[via MTV Iggy]
[MSNBC: Bride-To-Be Set To Say 'I Do'--To Herself]

Thanks, Erica!

Filed under: , , , , , ,

9 Responses to “AMAZIAN OF THE WEEK! Chen Wei-yih, A Taiwanese Woman Engaged To Marry Herself”

1. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by DISGRASIAN™, J A S M I N E, jasminedavila, eccentric yoruba, Mai and others. Mai said: i wana go to the ceremony RT @disgrasian: AMAZIAN OF THE WEEK! Chen Wei-yih, A Taiwanese Woman Engaged To Marry Herself http://dlvr.it/7XLgN [...]

Marrying myself is too much of me even for me.

Love her attitude! It’s great that she is so strong and confident within herself.

4. johnminh says:

I still want to marry this blog. =)

@johnminh But the blogophobes won’t let you!

6. cDonnaF says:

You know what they say–if ya like it, then you shoulda put a ring on it.

@Jen: Yeah! We need a rallying cry, like, “We’re the blogosphere, and we’re here!”

Now you know why I’m not a rabble-rouser.

7. [...] AMAZIAN OF THE WEEK! Chen Wei-yih, A Taiwanese Woman Engaged To Marry Herself from DISGRASIAN™ by Diana [...]

But you are Crazy Donna, in your own awesome way.

9. noneinaye says:

I wonder if it is a strictly monogamous relationship.
    If she hooked up with someone would it count as a three-some?