July 2nd, 2010 | 17 comments | Posted by Jen

Did I invoke “karma” in the title of this post because M. Night Shyamalan, director of The Last Airbender, is Indian? Sure. But given how, in the 24 hours since the movie’s opened, it’s already being heralded as quite possibly The Worst Movie Ever, he may not be for long, as soon people will be forming long lines not to see his latest cinematic debacle but, instead, to take away his Indian card, his Asian card, his DGA card, his WGA card, his AmEx card, and– why stop there?–even his SUBWAY® card, if he’s into that sort of thing, and something tells me that if white bread’s involved, he is.

Having already pissed off his brethren by casting white actors in the movie’s lead Asian roles, not getting why that was such a big deal, and hiding behind terms like “culturally diverse” and “multicultural” without understanding how his casting decisions actually ran contrary to those principles, Shyamalan’s now managed to get himself disowned by pretty much the rest of universe. Here are a few excerpts from the public drubbing The Last Airbender‘s received so far:

“The dearth of racially appropriate casting in the U.S. simply means that fewer Asians were humiliated by appearing in what is surely the worst botch of a fantasy epic since Ralph Bakshi’s animated desecration of The Lord of the Rings back in 1978. The actors who didn’t get to be in The Last Airbender are like the passengers who arrived too late to catch the final flight of the Hindenburg.”–Richard Corliss, TIME, ‘The Last Airbender: Worst Movie Epic Ever?’

“…the best way to watch ‘The Last Airbender’ is probably with your eyes closed.”–A.O. Scott, NY Times, ‘Mastering the Elements’

“‘The Last Airbender’ is an agonizing experience in every category I can think of and others still waiting to be invented. The laws of chance suggest that something should have gone right. Not here. It puts a nail in the coffin of low-rent 3D, but it will need a lot more coffins than that.”–Roger Ebert, ‘The Last Airbender’

“Eleven years ago, Shyamalan’s ‘The Sixth Sense’ looked like the beginning of a brilliant career. Today it looks like a fantastic anomaly, like a flowerbed in an arid wasteland or some eighth wonder of the world.”–Mick LaSalle, SF Chronicle, ‘Airbender gulping for breath’

“M. Night Shyamalan peers over the edge and into the abyss with The Last Airbender. Yes, that’s water ahead of him, water all around him. And it’s swirling. This colossal folly, the fiasco of the summer of 2010 — gives us all a ringside seat at the sight of Mr. ‘I See Dead People’s’ career gurgling down the drain.”–Roger Moore, Movie Review: ‘The Last Airbender’

DA. YUM. Even if Asians weren’t thinking about kicking Manoj out of the tribe before this epic pile of shit arrived in theaters, we are now. Because, as everybody knows, failure, and particularly failure of this sort–absolute, abject, complete, total, and utter–simply can’t be tolerated by people like us.

Filed under: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

17 Responses to “‘The Last Airbender’ May Be The Worst Movie Of All Time Which Means There May Be Such A Thing As Karma”

1. J-Mah says:

Big fan of the cartoon series. And the trailers looks so sweet too :(

2. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by DISGRASIAN, Estria and others. Estria said: @jeremy What I was talking about. RT @disgrasian: The Last Airbender Worst Movie Of All Time = Karma http://dlvr.it/2FYWZ [...]

3. mike says:

My favorite, from TIME, Richard Corliss:

4. AsianGirlProf says:

Maybe Asian folks can be relieved about not having been cast in this dud of film after all?

5. N says:

Yep, I’m pretty glad that no Asians were cast in the main role, otherwise I could just imagine all the blame placed on ‘Asians with no talent’ and those Hollywood execs would have an excuse of never hiring Asian actors ever again.

6. Rick says:

The total bashing Shyamalan is getting makes me believe that perhaps there is still justice in the world.

And oh is it sweet.

7. cDonnaF says:

@J-Mah: I know what you mean! My family are big fans too. And the trailers did look good. We knew the movie wouldn’t be as good as the series, but we hoped it would as least be entertaining. Oh well!

Sure puts the lie to the claim that the lead actors were cast for their mad acting skillz, doesn’t it? Although it doesn’t seem entirely fair to judge their abilities based only on an appearance in a Shyamalan film.

8. blue demon says:

That film was the suckiest suck that ever sucked.

Karma’s a bitch, and apparently, so am I, because I love witnessing this movie’s much deserved failure.

10. farleyk says:

I haven’t seen it yet, but get the inkling that it could be the one thing that will make my utter:
    “You know, maybe Battleship Earth wasn’t so bad”

The trouble is, I don’t really want to know if this conjecture is correct.

@dalianmoon And that’s why we love bishes.

@Ken The story I linked to that suggested Airbender may be the Worst Movie Ever did mention Battlefield Earth as a possible rival.

Wait. You saw Battlefield Earth???

13. akirasmom says:

Oh, this post made my day! I was just about to nominate M. Night for Disgrasian of the Weak, but now it looks like I won’t have to. I like it when justice is served quickly. :)

14. farleyk says:

Ah, yes. Sort of. I was doing some work out in Cupertino, and stuck in a hotel, etc. I hadn’t heard of the movie, but it was science fiction, just the thing to kill some time so I could sleep. It was the *only* thing on, it was a Wednesday, and still I could not watch it through to the end. The cinematic equivalent to Tiny Tim’s singing.

I am happy that a reviewer linked the two. I hadn’t seen that in the reviews I’d read, and was surprised at the lack of it.

15. PoweredByRice says:

sheeooot, I heard somewhere that the movie, -despite horrible reviews, made over 50 million dollars this weekend.

@PBR What really matters is how this movie performs next weekend. It’s expected to have a huge drop-off. Don’t forget that this movie cost about $300 million to get out the door ($150 mil to make + $150 to market), so even if it makes half that back domestically, it’s still a bomb and, more importantly, there won’t be a trilogy as planned.

17. KHJ says:

Roger Ebert is one of my favorite movie critics. Love his review of this film.