The LA Times just published a lengthy profile about X Japan, a wildly successful J-rock metal band led by charismatic pianist-drummer Yoshiki (pictured above), that will attempt the leap from Japanese superstardom to American mainstream when they join the Lollapalooza tour this summer.
Why I know I already ♥ X Japan:
- The band flanks a HEAVY METAL PIANIST-DRUMMER.
- Hello Kitty produced a likeness of said heavy metal pianist-drummer, the only so far created for a human being. (Ed. note—Hi Sanrio! Jen and I are tooooootally open to having Kitty versions of ourselves!)
- Yoshiki is apparently Bono-esque, and X Japan aspires to be Metallica-esque, yet they’re probably–most accurately–KISS-esque.
- The early X Japan aesthetic appears to be a hybrid of early Mötley Crüe and Poison, but with almond eyes, so they look like the rockstars I wanted to be when I was a kid.
- Every time I hear the words, “Arena Rock,” my personal areas get warm.
- LAT refers to Yoshiki as a “fevered multitasker and established brand unto himself in Asia,” which means he is a) totally Asian and b) pretty AMAZIAN!
- We need somebody to freak out over other than Rain.
Filed under: Big in Japan, Crossover, Hello Kitty, I So Fucking Love Hair Metal, Lollapalooza, Makeup Men, Metal, Metallica, Pianist-Drummers Or Drummer-Pianists, Piano Players, Sanrio, Superstars, X Japan, Yoshiki
5 Responses to “ROCK OF ASIAN: X Japan And The Pursuit Of World Dominasian”
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.