Intern Jasmine’s Links Of The Daysian

July 13th, 2010 | 8 comments | Posted by jasmine

Vaseline has created a face-whitening application for Facebook users in India to promote its Healthy White Skin Lightening Cream, because, um, yeah, that sounds really, really healthy. [Feministing]

Like AT&T in the 80′s, Ichiro Suzuki reaches out and touches someone. [MLB]

You break it, you DON’T buy it: Finally, a place for women having their lady time, in Shenyang, China. [People's Daily Online]

Tila Tequila is no longer part of Celebrity Rehab. Is it because she’s no longer a celebrity, or because she can’t be rehabilitated, or because no one gives a shit? Hmm. [RadarOnline]

Hayao Miyazaki likens iPad use to masturbation. Like that’s a problem?! [Gizmodo]

A Very Harold and Kumar Christmas already sounds like the greatest motherfuckin’ Christmas movie of all time. [MTV.com]

We can see why Prince said that the internet is over. Presenting…Kate Gosselin in a coolie hat. [Just Jared]

Filed under: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

8 Responses to “Intern Jasmine’s Links Of The Daysian”

Skin whitening is a sad thing. There seems to be an underlying message of self loathing in these kind ofproducts. It’s too bad.

Self-loathing, yes, and also lingering class/caste stuff, too.

3. cDonnaF says:

Uh… huh.
    As someone whose pasty pale skin was mocked by my junior-high peers in the tanning-obsessed ’70s, I find this disorienting.
    But I also kinda want to pit this stuff against those ridiculous self-tanning products in a cage match. “It’s a fight to the death to decide which product is more damaging to its target demographics’ self-esteem!”

4. Jenny Rain says:

The skin whitening stuff is everywhere in Asia. I remember walking into a grocery store with my aunt in Manila when I was kid and picking up a bottle of skin whitening lotion like it ain’t no thang. I’m surprised that 20 years later it’s more popular than ever. :(

5. Tristan says:

Hrrm, what’s next for KGoss? Is she gonna try to crash the White House in a sari? Looks like she could take a few hints from Angelina regarding subtlety.

6. consultjames says:

Famous animator Hayao Miyazaki claims (according to print) to not own a computer. Cue the theme from the movie, Deliverance… Oh, I forgot, he does not use DVD’s either(!) Nothing is more exasperating than to hear someone boast of backwardness in front of an educated readership.

I don’t know that I’ve ever been that excited by someone just touching my leg.

8. karlk9 says:

@Jen, I agree about that “class/caste stuff” you mentioned. A couple of decades ago, in Taiwan, I realized that no girls/women used college or public swimming pools during the day, though many liked to swim in the early evening. A couple of them told me that it was because middle class and upward women didn’t want to get so tanned that they might resemble the “lower” class of people who had to work outdoors for a living. Many of girls/women at that time, also used to use parasols when they walked in the daylight. I don’t remember ever seeing whitening cream advertised on TV though.
    I don’t like the idea of whitening lotion, with one exception … it just might make Rep. John Boehner have a more believable skin tone.