DISGRASIAN OF THE WEAK! Barry Wong

July 2nd, 2010 | 7 comments | Posted by Diana

A Republican candidate running for the Arizona Corporation Commission, which regulates public utility companies (among other responsibilities), has proposed a change in policy in the event of his election:

He wants to cut off utilities for residences of illegal immigrants.

From The Arizona Republic:

Serving a growing number of people with power, he said, raises utility rates because it requires building new power plants. He said asking utilities not to serve illegal immigrants could protect other ratepayers from utility hikes…

“…I’m sure there will be criticism about human-rights violations,” Wong said of his utility proposal. “Is power or natural gas or any type of utility we regulate, is that a right that people have? It is not a right. It is a service.”

Declaring oneself  anti-immigrant seems to be increasingly en vogue in Arizona, and critics have accused Wong of making these controversial remarks, targeting illegal immigrants, in order to win votes. (It should be noted that Arizona’s commission is one of the few in the United States to employ elected officials.) Funnily enough, even the most vocal anti-immigrant politicians in the state have shied away from Wong’s ideas. Wong of course denies making his claims purely for election buzz, saying, “”I don’t need to take on these issues for election purposes. I served on the Corporation Commission.”

Perhaps the most shameful part of such accusations is that they’re even plausible. When did a lack of humanity become a pathway to power?

OH WAIT. SINCE THE BEGINNING OF TIME.

[via NY Daily News]
[The Arizona Repiblic: Arizona's Illegal Immigrants Should Have Utilities Cut, Candidate Says]
[Arizona Corporation Commission - Official Site]

Thanks, Jasmine and Henri!

Filed under: , , , , , , , , , ,

7 Responses to “DISGRASIAN OF THE WEAK! Barry Wong”

1. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Jasmine Davila and Bart. Bart said: Lulz i love disgrasian. RT @disgrasian: DISGRASIAN OF THE WEAK! Barry Wong http://dlvr.it/2FmMY [...]

2. N says:

I registered purely I want to rant about him.
    How can anyone go that far below that belt just for a few vote?
    I’m a Wong (Though I’m sure I’m not a close relative of his), and I think he has really put shame on that surname.
    I say we kick him out of the Wong Clan and make him adapt a surname like Bush or Brewer (I guess that’s probably what he always wanted anyway).

3. karlk9 says:

@N, I share your opinion of Barry … hmm, his actual Chinese given name might be “Bat Dan. I doubt that you are closely related just for sharing the surname Wong, besides, the given name means a lot too. I have seen Wong written different ways, like 黃 yellow,王 king,汪 vastness, etc., but I suspect that Barry’s full Chinese name is Wong Bat-Dan (王八蛋), which is a sea turtle egg. If you think of the creature’s legacy, when it comes into the world, it not only doesn’t know it’s father, but it’s mother buried it in sand. Calling someone that, Wang Ba-Dan in Mandarin, could bring on a physical assault in China. Don’t kick him out of the Wong clan, just ask Disgrasian to officially name him with his proper given name.

4. Wiggles says:

An Asian George Dubya. I mean the smirk’s exactly the same.

5. astrobuddha says:

lol! I’m actually related to this guy (but not on the Wong side). I booed him when he spoke at a conference years ago. This was before I found out I was related to him. It seems like blood is not thicker than my politics and belief in human rights, so I must have to do it again. I fully support his DIsgrasian of the Weak title. Boooooo cousin Barry! WTF are you thinking?!?!

6. BusyDad says:

Wow. This guy takes the rice cake for being simply mean. It’s not even strategic. It’s just mean. This guy must’ve run out of hot water one too many times while showering as a kid.

7. Henri says: