Sex And The City 2: Shameful Or Spectacular?

June 1st, 2010 | 7 comments | Posted by Diana

Look, guys! It’s a photo from the Tokyo premiere of Sex and the City 2!

Oh YOU. Don’t hate. (HA! Look who’s talking!)

I’m going to say this once even though I know that many of you won’t believe me, many more will scoff, and even more will ridicule me for it:

THE MOVIE IS NOT THAT BAD.

I saw it last Thursday, fully convinced it was going to be a stinker–likely for the same reasons as you: Your best friend walked out of the theater grousing about what a drop-kick to feminism this flick is (by the way, should we really be looking to movies that contain bedazzled logos for feminist benchmarks?). The 16% Rotten Tomatoes rating is simply… pathetic. The “I Am Woman” karaoke scene is worse than it sounds (in fact, every musical number is worth a cringe). Someone told you about the burqa escape scene (sadly, true) and multiple appearances/mentions of camels/magic carpets (also true).

Or you saw the first movie, which was downright abysmal.

But by golly, I’ll stand behind my statement. SATC2 is fun, familiar, and a worthwhile way to spend a few evening hours, especially for a die-hard fan that’s willing to watch the PG-macheted, syndicated reruns on TBS every night while ordering dinner (or owns an SJP fragrance). That, my friends, is who I am. Jen is like, my full-on bestie, and even she has only just begun to understand the extend of my SATC nerd-dom. I’m like a Trekkie, but for Sex (or as Jen’s best mate calls us, “sluts!”)

So if you are like me, you love the HBO series unconditionally–despite Miranda constantly complaining with food laying against her epiglottis, despite a too-soon dismissal of the hotness John Slattery’s politico character Bill Kelley in Season 3, despite a boon of confused young women drinking icky cosmos at bars and wearing heels they can’t walk in, despite THE EXISTENCE OF SEASON 6… and you have ached for years to once again see these four women dealing with very real neuroses in a supremely surreal setting–as they did for years and years, every week, to nurse you through all of your most memorable sexcapades, torrid affairs, and splits. That is what this movie holds within. Nothing less, and a little bit more (admittedly, the “more” is mostly shticky, fucktarded, culturally superficial nonsense and should be ignored).

And let us not forget what else it has: AIDAN (who could not look more fine). A conflicted, messy Carrie Bradshaw that is not at all unlike the confused girl you met in 1998 with condoms in her purse and mistakes coming out of her ears. The cutest little Amazian Jr. An in-pants boner (perhaps my favorite part). And a gay wedding (Also my favorite part).

And did I say AIDAN? Kind-eyed, hardy, handsome, why-the-eff-didn’t-you-marry-him-stupid-stupid-Carrie AIDAN? Ahhhhhhhhhhh. I’d buy a hundred tickets just to have another shot at him.

[IMDB: Sex and the City 2 (2010)]
[Rotten Tomatoes: Sex and the City 2]

Filed under: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

7 Responses to “Sex And The City 2: Shameful Or Spectacular?”

1. PoweredByRice says:

As a guy, I found the original series marginally entertaining….usually due to the gratuitous nude scenes (mostly of Kim Cattrall). And it was something my wife really loved watching….we basically rented the season box-set DVD’s and blew through the entire season in a couple of sittings.

But man, you couldn’t drag me to that SATC2 movie if my life depended on it.

BTW, as Sarah Jessica Parker fans, I assume you’ve seen this site?

2. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Jasmïne Davïla and jasminedavila, Denise Kuan. Denise Kuan said: RT @disgrasian: Sex And The City 2: Shameful Or Spectacular? http://dlvr.it/1MK0W (perhaps both!) [...]

3. Teamrobhogg says:

…I just can’t…

I don’t have to understand everything about you to still love you.

Thank you, Cindy. I truly appreciate that. That’s what real love is, anyway. :)

@poweredbyrice she’s a very pretty, likable, quirky horse.

7. yellOHpride says:

FINALLY! Someone who agrees with me! Thanks Diana! I didn’t think this movie was all that bad either (aside from the horrendous “I Am Woman” karaoke scene… I think I did do a little face cringe while I was watching it).

I am a total fashion whore. I am the girl who runs out and buys Vogue magazine and Harper’s just to flip through the pages, check out the styles and then go off to recreate the looks. So for me, more than half of the magic of SATC2 were the OUTFITS! I could just die for Carrie’s outfit while she’s perusing the spice markets in Old Abu Dhabi (as in, I wanted to reach out through the screen and rip that skirt off of her!).

I was also pretty enchanted by Carrie’s tap into her inner Isabella Blow with the little hat adornment in the gay wedding (also REALLY loved!)

I actually went and saw the film with my girl who is the Editor for Racialicious.com, so you know our whispered chit chat to each other was filled with some commentary on the “Paula Abdul” bit, not to mention the constant showing of camels and the burka-escape scene!