AMAZIAN OF THE WEEK! Diane Keng

May 10th, 2010 | 13 comments | Posted by Diana

Name: Diane Keng

Age: 18

Hails from: Silicon Valley

Occupation: High school senior, CEO

Known for: Doing business. WSJ just profiled Keng, a high school senior that presented her company, MyWeboo.com (a social networking management site that launched in March), to venture capitalists at last week’s Web 2.0 Expo in San Francisco. Keng shares MyWeboo with her 25-year-old brother, but it’s her third start-up company.  Yeah, that’s right muthafuckaz! THIRD START-UP.

Did we forget to mention that Keng started her first company at age 16, but bailed because it wasn’t making enough money? And that despite her busy business schedule, she still does well in school and plays badminton? By golly, Keng is my a Hardass Asian Parent’s WET DREAM. Perhaps that’s why her dad gave her $100k in tuition money and my dad still regrets paying for my English degree. *sigh*

[MyWeboo.com]
[via 8 Asians]
[WSJ: Report Card? How About That Annual Report]

**This post has been changed to fix some factual errors. Thanks, Diane!

Filed under: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

13 Responses to “AMAZIAN OF THE WEEK! Diane Keng”

1. PoweredByRice says:

her Dad gave her 100k in business seed money???

Christ, when I was 12 I asked my hardass Chinese father for a 2 bucks/week allowance and he sneered at me.

2. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by nina. nina said: Well, if this doesn't make me feel inadequate, then I don't know what does. http://bit.ly/av3wMh [...]

3. Thomas says:

I hope my parents never find your site and see these articles of these super asian kids. My mom believes me when I tell her that everyone aks their parents to help them pay off their student loans.

@PoweredByRice: Keeping things in perspective. When I was 12 I was given 50 cents a week in allowance. (This may give away too much about my age.) Gave half in Church on Sunday. Saved $50 in quarters because my mom promised to match whatever I saved to open my first savings account. That same said savings account provided me with all my spending money when in college. All that being said, Diana Keng makes me feel like a total loser underachiever. She doesn’t even have the decency to be a homely dweeb. I think I hate her.

5. brianguy says:

not bad, but I’m pretty sure if my dad gave me $100k, a car, and a computer when I was 15 or 16 I probably could have started a business or two also. instead I got to work at a movie theatre for 8 hours a day sweeping popcorn and use this horrible electronic word processor to type english papers. we didn’t have no high faloutin’ internets.

6. PoweredByRice says:

@Cindy: Oh c’mon now Cindy, are you sure you want to play the “Let’s see who had the stricter Asian parents game”? I will own you in the lightning round. :)

And don’t worry about dating yourself. My high school graduation year was 1989. So there.

7. karlk9 says:

Like many who have commented, I can’t relate well to Diana Keng’s situation; especially as one who went to college, financed by assistantships, partial scholarships, and loans … oh, and Summer lifeguarding. She is a cute, talented, and FORTUNATE high school student though.

@PoweredbyRice …by 1989 I had finished the first two of my college degrees. So there! right back at ya. ;-) …and to be clear, I am not Asian…but raised by hard ass parents all the same. I will avoid the rounds of who had it worse. I wouldn’t want to shame you into submission.

9. noneinaye says:

I think you guys may need to start putting *trigger warnings* and cuts into these Amazian bits. Like right before the list of achievements. This shit is seriously depressing.

Sigh…Back to fleshing out papers and moving out of my parents house for the second time…bah

10. weissman says:

The only comment I can have is WOW, I think in her spare time she puts ona super hero outfit and saves the world!

11. Le says:

Damn how did Angry Asian Man miss her on his 30 Under 30 list? I don’t remember seeing her on it. And ditto on the feelings of inadequacy. Reading about people like this is like self-flagellation for me!

12. [...] AMAZIAN OF THE WEEK! Diana Keng (DisgrasianTM) [...]

13. MicroRNA says:

Beautiful, smart, and accomplished. Ah, it hurts.