AMAZIAN OF THE WEEK! Ed Wang, First Chinese American In The NFL

April 26th, 2010 | 27 comments | Posted by Jen

Name: Ed Wang

Age: 23

Hails from: Virginia

Occupation: Professional football player

So, first the good news: Over the weekend, 6’5″, 309 lbs. (no, that is not a typo) offensive tackle Ed Wang became the first Chinese American player drafted into the NFL.

As a Chinese American, a Wang, and a lifelong football fan, I weep for joy.

Now, the bad: He’s going to the Bills.

As a Chinese American, a Wang, and a lifelong football fan who’s always considered the Bills the whipping boy of the NFL–they last went to the playoffs in ’99, they’ve never won a championship, and they hold the dubious distinction of being the only team who’s gone to (and lost) four consecutive Super Bowls–I just weep.

Ah, well…two steps forward, one step back!

To learn more about Ed Wang, watch the video below. His parents Robert and Nancy are former Chinese Olympians–dad was a high-jumper, mom was a hurdler–and they’re cute as all get out. In that Hardass Asian Parent way, of course. Choice quote from Ed’s dad:

“As parents, we just feel very proud of the kids [Like Ed, his younger brother David is also a football player at Virginia Tech--Ed.]. They are listen what we taught them. We give them directions, and they really follow them.”

[SI.com: Getting to know NFL hopeful Ed Wang]
[Roanoke Times: Wang makes draft history]

Filed under: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

27 Responses to “AMAZIAN OF THE WEEK! Ed Wang, First Chinese American In The NFL”

1. i_am_a_fan says:

Not to belabor the point, because I think this is a great article — but while Ed Wang is the first Chinese American to be drafted by an NFL team, I don’t think he can be considered an NFL player until he makes it through the final roster cuts. There’s a chance the Bills can cut him before the regular season begins. I for one believe in Ed Wang and hope to see him represent Chinese Americans in an NFL game.

2. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by winston yuan, Li Feng 林莉逢 めいこ. Li Feng 林莉逢 めいこ said: RT @disgrasian: AMAZIAN OF THE WEEK! Ed Wang, First Chinese American In The NFL http://dlvr.it/dRYh [...]

3. Social comments and analytics for this post…

This post was mentioned on Twitter by jasmined: RT @disgrasian AMAZIAN OF THE WEEK! Ed Wang, First Chinese American In The NFL http://dlvr.it/dRYc

More pathetic than the Bills, I’d say, is our team, the Lions. They are the shameful rash on our local sports landscape.

It could be worse, Jen. For us Cowboy fans who could have gone to the Giants or the Redskins where we were forced be against him. Maybe a little Wang magic is just what the Bills need.

@dalianmoon Why can’t Detroit ever catch a break?!

@Cindy You’re so right. I don’t really want to root against a Wang ever. That’s why I’m relieved Chien-Ming Wang is no longer a Yankee. Speaking of the Cowboys, did you know that Chan Gailey is now the head coach of the Bills? I never thought he was head coaching material, but maybe that’s because he inherited the last gasp 90′s Cowboys.

Jen, I had not heard that. That’s about as cool of a decision as the 72 Datson pickup I drove for six months in high school…transmission stripped, holes in the floor board, and a Dynamite 8-Track player as the only music. It got me to and from school but I didn’t win any awards along the way.

you may need to explain what a Dynamite Player is (and possibly 8-track) to DianA. ;-)

9. Thirdworlder says:

Kailee Wong might have been the first Chinese American to play for the NFL. He played for the Vikings and is married to Mario Lopez’s sister. Maybe that’s why people want to forget about Kailee

10. PoweredByRice says:

I’ve been following Ed Wang and am thrilled he got drafted.

The only thing I’m kinda bemused about is that the dude has some SERIOUS problems with his teeth. He’s got a MASSIVE overbite, and that picture of him running with his buck teeth hanging out makes me cringe. He needs braces…..badly.

11. Friggles says:

I can throw a long spiral as well as anyone. That being said, football’s a sport for blue collar numb nuts and suckers. It’s not like your local team are local players- just dudes who are hired guns who are usually from somewhere else and will play for the top bidder if the top bidder feels they’re worth the money. So what’s the point then? I also doubt Mr. Wang was born to be that big and will have a very short life span due to a shitty diet to maintain his weight. Asian folks are NOT meant to weigh 200+ pounds. I’m happy for you that he’s the first Asian to make a football team, but living maybe another 20 years (If he’s lucky.)for the honor isn’t worth it to me, anyway.

12. PoweredByRice says:

Friggles, I disagree. Both of Ed Wang’s parents were Olympic athletes, and Ed’s brother is large as well. What “shitty diet” are you referring to? With over 1.4 billion Chinese people on the planet, don’t you think there are SOME of us that may be large?

@Friggles Your analysis of football as a sport is for numb nuts and suckers. Asian folks are not meant to weight 200+ lbs? Yao Ming is 310 lbs. Of course, he’s 7’6″. But virtually all of the Chinese national basketball team is over 200 lbs, and most of them are around Ed Wang’s height of 6’5″. Some would say Asian folks are not meant to be that tall, either. Some would say that your comment is racist. Did you bother to watch the video of Ed and his family? They are all athletes, and they are big people. But I’m not going to quibble with your assessment of football as an unhealthy sport, because between the brain damage and the knee and hip obliteration, it so obviously is, and, yes, that fact is troubling and complicates my enjoyment of the game. But that’s not the point I’m making here. I suppose I can’t expect you as a white man to understand what it’s like to grow up in America as a minority and see everything in popular culture dominated by white people, only to finally see someone who looks like you break through in the most-watched sport in the country. But I do expect you to have some awareness of the privilege and position in society from which you speak.

14. PoweredByRice says:

@Friggles: Ah, didn’t realize you are white. So what’s basically happening here is that you see a large muscular Asian man and it doesn’t seem “natural” to you.

That, my friend, is how racial stereotypes f*ck with your mind. You look at the picture of Ed Wang, and something seems “off” to you. You may not be able to put your finger on it, but your sense of the natural order of things has been violated.

So whether it’s a large muscualar Asian man, or seeing an Asian man in a romantic lead role, or seeing a strong/assertive Asian woman…you need to free your mind of these preconceived racial stereotypes of what Asian people are SUPPOSED to look like.

15. [...] 27, 2010, 3:36 pm Filed under: culture,media,race,urban | Tags: Asian American [h/t: AAM & Disgrasian] I didn’t grow up around a lot of Asians, but somehow the stereotypes still made sense to me. [...]

16. dz50 says:

Amen, Jen! More reason to celebrate the selection of Ed Wang in the draft. Hopefully he can succeed and dispel myths that Asians aren’t big enough or athletic enough to play football. Does Friggles assume all linemen have terrible diets or just linemen who are Asian?

17. Friggles says:

Ladies, please-

Perhaps I was a bit hasty regarding Asians and weight. Of course there are plenty of stocky and tall Asian folk who make wonderful athletes and again, kudos to Mr. Wang for making the team. All the best and I hope he has a great run. Nothing racist in my comment though. The era of white dominance will soon be over and we’ll all be better for it, believe me. So what if some sports is still dominated by non-Asians? Is a game like football so important it’s altering world dynamics as we speak? A game where by the time of retirement a fair amount of players will be spoon fed baby goop ‘cuz their brains turned to fuckin mush as a result of one too many concussions. Ed Wang is a wonderful standout I’m sure, compared to quite a number of NFL players who display rather “colorful” behavior outside of the football field. If you want to reminisce a wonderful bygone time, you can’t go wrong w/the Oakland Raiders of the 1970′s. True outlaws like our favorite country stars. Not what’s happening in today’s NFL by a long shot. I really like tossing around the football, but I also know in the end it’s just a stupid game, and if you’re pro, money plays a bigger part then the love of the sport itself most times.

Friggles

Doing my little “Go Jen!” dance at my desk right now!

19. PoweredByRice says:

@Friggles: You still don’t get it. It’s not about how important football is in the grand scheme of things.

You just don’t understand the power of stereotypes and how important it is to have people dispel them even for something as “trivial” as football.

It also speaks to issues of Asian male masculinity and how Asian men have been emasculated and feminized in American culture.

Don’t be so quick to dismiss something you don’t understand.

20. Friggles says:

Hey powered by rice-

You’re the one whining about Mr. Wang’s “buck teef”. Talk about racial stereo types. I’m not the least bit intimidated by Asian leading men or women, but it sounds like someone w/an overbite really causes you to have a meltdown. And btw, my mind is free enough already, thank you very much.

21. izzy says:

@Friggles

Well, glad to know I’m not the only one who called you out, but just to add my two cents,
    did you know what there’s a “the Biggest Loser — Asia”?

Odd @Friggles that you would associate @poweredbyrice’s comment about Wang’s teeth as a racial stereotype since you were the one who made the racial comment NOT @poweredbyrice.

23. weissman says:

Hooah!

24. PoweredByRice says:

@Friggles: Your tendancy to be dismissive of issues that are important to Asian Americans demonstrates a certain level of arrogance.

If you’re not here with an open mind and a desire to learn things about people who may have a difference perspective than you….than why are you here?

Why are you here on this site projecting your opinions of what Asian people should and shouldn’t be like onto us? Don’t we have the right to define ourselves and define what issues are important to US?

25. [...] AMAZIAN OF THE WEEK! Ed Wang, First Chinese American In The NFL …To learn more about Ed Wang, watch the video below. His parents Robert and Nancy are former Chinese Olympians–dad was a high-jumper, mom was a hurdler–and they’re cute as all get out. In that Hardass Asian Parent way, of course. … Read more [...]

26. happyguy says:

What about Ron Lou from Arizona State who played for both the Houston Oilers and the Philadelphia Eagles in the early-mid 1970s? He sure looked Chinese to me….