HONORASIAN ALERT: Winnie Cooper

March 17th, 2010 | 9 comments | Posted by Jen

Because of the dearth of Asian characters on TV when I was growing up, I always imagined that Winnie Cooper of The Wonder Years was one of us. She had those bangs, and that shy nerd quality, and she kinda looked Filipino, you know?

When Winnie grew up and became a math geek IRL, that sealed the deal for me. Now I hear Winnie, aka Danica McKellar, is pregnant with her first child. This is what she told People magazine about taking her home pregnancy test:

…she originally put off confirming her suspicions [about being pregnant]. “I was in the middle of a really intense deadline for my book,” explains McKellar, whose third tome, “Hot X: Algebra Exposed,” comes out in August.

“I wanted to put off the [pregnancy] test because I didn’t want any distractions. That only lasted a day — I couldn’t stop thinking about it and I caved! You can’t try to put that off.”

Putting off your pregnancy test because you want to focus on finishing your third book…about how math is fun and shit?

God, that is so fucking Asian, I love it.

[People: The Wonder Years's Danica McKellar is pregnant]

Filed under: , , , , , , , , ,

9 Responses to “HONORASIAN ALERT: Winnie Cooper”

That’s how it is when you suspect you are pregnant. It takes over your brain, even when you try and push the thoughts back.

By the way, we just got the good news today that our third child is a girl! Our first daughter! (Actually, our only daughter, since we are done after this.) I’m due in August. :-)

CONGRATULASIANS! you’re totally mom of the year.

Thanks! We’re really excited, and the boys are looking forward to having a baby sister. :-)

and of course, Jen and I expect to see photos.

5. Social comments and analytics for this post…

This post was mentioned on Twitter by jasmined: RT @disgrasian HONORASIAN ALERT: Winnie Cooper http://dlvr.it/J69d

6. Liu Jing says:

Math doesn’t suck until Shing Tung Yau tries to grab your Fields Medal.

7. daughterofbob says:

WHERE WAS THIS BOOK WHEN I WAS IN MIDDLE SCHOOL!!! It has a horoscope, too??!?!

8. weissman says:

I hope my daughter like math