Cuz Every Girl’s Crazy Bout A Sharp-Dressed (Homeless) Man

March 10th, 2010 | 11 comments | Posted by Jen

Dude. I thought this particular brand of wackness was only indigenous to Los Angeles–where a schizophrenic homeless man a few years back inspired a line of clothing with the cringiest of names, “Crazy Robertson”–but apparently the U.S. does export some shit to China.

A mentally ill homeless man in Ningbo, Zhejiang Province, has become an instant fashion icon in his country after an amateur photog took his picture and posted it on the internet. He’s been nicknamed “Brother Sharp” and, according to China Daily, his “rugged style” is now being copied by the “pampered post-90s generation.”

The Chinese aren’t the only ones interested in Brother Sharp’s “style.” BlackBook had this to say about him in “Actual [my italics] Homeless Man Inspiring Fashion in China”:

Whether it’s the nonchalance, the layering, or the dabbling in women’s wear, homeless attire has become bizzarly [sic] enticing to hipster Millenials. After all, if there’s one thing fashion and hipsters both adore: it’s irony mixed with just a bit of shock and awe. Besides, isn’t homeless chic really just the epitome of inconspicuous shopping? Seems right up the alley of another exhausted reference: the recession.

Um, ewww, and, um, gross.

This story does have a silver lining, however. Because of the stir “Brother Sharp”–real name, Cheng Guorong–has created in China, he’s been reunited with his family, who lost touch with him back in 2003. Hopefully he’ll now get the care he needs, even if it’s at the expense–god forbid–of fashion.

[China Daily: 'Most handsome' vagabond wins cult following through the cyberspace]
[China Daily: Brother Sharp returns home]
[BlackBook: Actual Homeless Man Inspiring Fashion in China]

Thanks, Irwin!

Filed under: , , , , , , , , , ,

11 Responses to “Cuz Every Girl’s Crazy Bout A Sharp-Dressed (Homeless) Man”

Of course, that makes the assumption that he WANTED to be reunited with his family.

Hmm…I hadn’t thought of it that way. That’s dark, Cindy, real dark.

You know, if we showered, got a haircut and some decent clothes, he might be handsome-ish.

@dalianmoon Here’s a pic of him reunited with his mother, presumably showered, in clean clothes, shaven:

@dalianmoon PS Always wanted to know the origin of your handle. Anything to do with Dalian, China?

This is going to sound crazy, but when I was a very small child, I had a recurring dream that I had a friend named Dalian. At that time, I had no idea that it was a city in China. And I have always felt very serene when I look up at the bright, full moon. So when I decided to record music and put it up online, I thought that Dalian Moon was a good stage name to use, and it has become my online handle as well. :-)

Oh yeah. He’s not so hot.

I have experience with the dark. Family is not always warm fuzzy place.

9. Lauren says:

why would he need ‘decent clothes’ to look handsome?

@jen: This reminds me that I haven’t played “Hipster? Or Homeless?” in awhile.

Totally. I was going to invoke the whole “Homester” thing, but thought you needed to write that post first.