A Match Made In Scandinasian Heaven: Chinese Automaker Buys Volvo

March 29th, 2010 | 9 comments | Posted by Jen

I pretty much love all things Swedish. Swedish fashion (ACNE, Swedish Hasbeens, H&M), Swedish music (Lykke Li, Jens Lekman, Jose Gonzalez, Love Is All), Swedish meatballs, IKEA, Bjorn Borg and his awesome headband, Let the Right One In–the best vampire movie in the current wave of bloodsucker films–and, speaking of vampires, that hot piece from True Blood (and David Simon’s Generation Kill), Alexander Skarsgard. I attribute this minor obsession to the fact that ABBA was probably the first pop music I ever heard, and it was the only pop–other than the Carpenters–that my dad really let infiltrate his otherwise classical and opera-heavy record collection.

Redefining “up in my grill”

Oh, and I love Swedish cars. The first and only car I’ve bought, after driving two Japanese hand-me-downs from my parents, is a Volvo. It’s a blue ten year-old wagon and it has yet to hit 100,000 miles because I hate driving, and I take it out about once a week like a granny. Most of its miles have come from long road trips. In LA, a ten year-old Volvo wagon is considered a shitmobile–some parking valets appear offended when they take my keys–but to me, it will always feel like a luxury car because it’s never broken down on me and it’s the only car I’ve ever owned with heated seats.

Apparently Chinese automaker Geely feels the same way I do about Swedish wheels, because it reached an agreement Sunday to buy Volvo Cars for $1.8 billion from the Ford Motor Company. And while Volvo is being passed from an American automaker to a Chinese one, the Swedish minister of enterprise and energy said after the sale, “Regardless of who owns Volvo Cars, its brand will still be Swedish.”

Or may I suggest a compromise and call it Scandinasian?

[NY Times: Ford Agrees to Sell Volvo to a Fast-Rising Chinese Company]

Filed under: , , , , , , , , , ,

9 Responses to “A Match Made In Scandinasian Heaven: Chinese Automaker Buys Volvo”

1. Simon says:

I want to buy that exact car in the photo. Or at least the grill.

2. isaacakira says:

I’d prefer Skeppshult.

And commut like the Swedishes. Public transport and bicycle…

@Simon You want to buy the grill or the girl?

4. Simon says:

If it were just the grill, I’d lick it until the chrome shines. If it were the girl…

5. Friggles says:

I lived in Sweden (Sverige)for 7 months in the fourth biggest city Linkoping. (Pronounced Ling-chirping, which sounds vaguely Chinese.) Plenty of Volvos there and wonderfully aloof Swedes. In summer you have Lake Roxanne, the most beautiful swimming hole in all the world. In the winter you walk 15 yards and your lips freeze together.

6. weissman says:

wow

When you get ready for a new car, call me. I’ll buy your used Volvo with that driving history. I don’t care how old it is. Simon can have the grill. You know my choice.

@Cindy Deal! But mine doesn’t come with the girl, unfortch.

9. raffles says:

soon all geely cars will be made as safe as a volvo..do u think so?