Huh? Meredith Vieira Calls Kristi Yamaguchi A “Hoochie”

February 16th, 2010 | 17 comments | Posted by Jen

Dear Meredith Vieira,

Kristi Yamaguchi is a lot of things. An Olympic gold medalist. A mother. The season 6 winner of perhaps the most squeaky-clean show on television this side of Lawrence Welk, Dancing With the Stars. The daughter of a dentist. She is, at once, both a paragon of achievement and of normalcy, which makes her, like, super-Asian. That is why, to many of us, Kristi Yamaguchi is something of a national treasure.

She is not, however, by any stretch of the imagination, a “hoochie.” As interesting as it might be to think of Kristi having some secret life as a slutty hot mess, that skate just doesn’t fit. That’s like calling you, I dunno, a “hard-hitting reporter”?

Peace Out,
Jen

[via The Daily Beast]

Thanks, Jasmine and Maeko!

Filed under: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

17 Responses to “Huh? Meredith Vieira Calls Kristi Yamaguchi A “Hoochie””

Because she was dancing and having fun, that makes her a “hoochie”? Okay…

Vieira is an irrelevant, out of touch idiot. So unacceptable!

3. farleyk says:

I think, or hope, it was just a lame attempt at being funny, trying to find something that rhymed with Yamaguchi. A sad failure, to be sure, but it didn’t seem malicious.
    What can you suggest for a comeback? I can’t think of anything suitable that rhymes with “Vieira”.

Of course it wasn’t malicious! Meredith Vieira oozes goodness and compassion–it’s, like, her perfume.

And though it’s not in the clip, speaking of comebacks…Kristi calls Meredith the “Vancougar.” ZING!

not malicious, but definitely a clue that she doesn’t know what the fuzz she’s saying!

Apparently she calls everyone a hoochie. Maybe she lives in a world of really slutty women. Fun!

7. farleyk says:

Imagine the bloodletting and mayhem that would have occurred if she said such a thing to certain other medal-winning skaters? And I’m not talking Dorothy Hamill, either.

8. Maeko says:

Maybe Viera was just trying to show the young people that she is the paradigm of an adult who knows how to live in the youthful world, with her embrace and skill of “teenglish” and all that slang those kids use today.

“Hoochie” was her way of reaching out to the youth of America.

Nah, I can’t sell that.

I mean, hello, what the fuck, Meredith? How can anyone call Yamaguchi a hoochie? Did you see how frakking WHOLESOME her dancing was on camera? I totally lost wood.

9. katalina says:

I think it’s kind of obvious she was joking. :/

Guys, as a longtime reader of Disgrasian and always having loved this blog, I pretty much feel like the quality of the articles are falling flat. There are so many things I’d like to hear your opinions on; That kid in china–Zhang Xuping–who killed an oppressive official and is now facing (or has already faced?) a death sentence despite the massive outpouring of support for his actions. Or even Zhen Xue and Zhao Hongbo winning the gold metal and successfully seizing the gold medal from the years long grasp Russians have had on it?

These are things I’d like to hear you blog about, not Vieira’s weird…news mishaps.

Like I said I really like this blog a lot, and value your opinions greatly! Which is why I’d like to hear them, but on more important subjects than this.

What happens in pairs figure skating is considered an “important subject”? Huh.

11. aptkane says:

To quote my good buddy Frankenstein:

Kristi Yamaguchi GOOOOD.

Meredith Viera BAAAAD.

12. jozjozjoz says:

Jen, thanks for calling out MV on this! It makes no kind of sense! You rock!

13. jasmine says:

I wonder if “Yamaguchi the Hoochie” occurred to Meredith while she and Kristi were out, probably after she’d had a few glasses of chardonnay and the camera crew had gone home and her eye makeup is smeared ever so much down her cheeks. Anything that sounds like a good idea after a few drinks rarely if ever seems so viable in the cold, sober light of day. Also, I bet Kristi thought “Next time, I’m hangin’ with Curry.”

Falling flat, really? I guess that explains the roaring laughter when I read the posts. I’ve so missed you Jen! (Now DianA, don’t go getting sensitive on me. I would have missed you too had you fallen from the face of the earth for ten weeks)

Vieira should know you can’t call the squeaky clean image of perfection that is Kristi Yamaguchi a hoochie ON AIR and think that is okay. No shamin’ our Amazians!

i LIVE to be missed!

16. aptkane says:

Okay, I’ve watched this a few more times now (and it has nothing to do with my uber crush oh Kristi…even though she looks smokin’ in that black dress of hers) – Let me be frank, I cannot STAND Meredith Viera…cannot stand her. Matt Lauer either, but that’s a different topic.

Part of the reason I can’t stand her is that she has complete Diarrhea of the mouth. Not as bad as Johnny Mayer and his idiocy, but still pretty bad. She doesn’t seem to know when to just shut her yap. My guess from this, is that she was either frantically trying to rhyme with Yamaguchi, and would have just as easily said “poochy”, or she was having a bad case of her recurrent explosive sh*t mouth. Either way, I really wish Al Rocher would have come in and socked her in the gut.