Cotton Candy, Sweet And Low, Reprzentasian In The Super Bowl!

January 25th, 2010 | 7 comments | Posted by Diana

THE SAINTS ARE FINALLY GOING TO THE SUPER BOWL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep your eyes on amazian linebacker Scott Fujita (aka “Asian Assassin”) when they do.

Damn

That’s not actually asking much. Last night, during the NFC Championship shootout/battle royale/best game of the season, it was hard to look at anything else. When Fujita wasn’t putting pressure on Brett Favre, he and Anthony Hargrove were tackling him hard.

And forcing fumbles. Or, gosh, recovering them.

After the victory in OT, Fujita did not talk about the jaw-dropping performance of the defense, but rather the city of New Orleans:

I still feel like I’m floating,” Saints linebacker Scott Fujita said a good 45 minutes after kicker Garrett Hartley drilled the game-winning 40-yard field goal with 10:15 left in overtime. “It means a lot to me, after coming in here four years ago, not long after Katrina, when this place was still a mess and people really didn’t have much of anything. They just hoped they’d have a team that might come back. “Really, tonight was the culmination of everything, for this team, this whole city, for this region. For everything to come together [Sunday] the way it did. I couldn’t be happier. I couldn’t be prouder, and I’m honored to go represent the people of New Orleans in the Super Bowl.”

What’s more–Fujita, who is raising twin girls with college sweetheart wife in NOLA and happily shrugs off “Pinko Communist Fag from Berkeley” taunts in the NFL locker room, recently began to publicly endorse gay rights issues, including same sex marriage (Read the Q&A with Dave Zirin about his decision to support the October ’09 National Equality March for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender rights on HuffPo).  So we like to think that although Focus On The Family (known well for its firm stance against same-sex marriage and abortion) may get a 30-second ad during the big game to promote…whatever, our man Fujita will be reprzentin’ a progressive, open-minded point of view for FOUR FULL QUARTERS.

WHO DAT? WHO DAT? WHO DAT SAY DEY GONNA BEAT DEM SAINTS???

[NBC Sports: Party on! Saints headed to first Super Bowl]
[Adage: How Focus On The Family Bought A Super Bowl Spot]
[Change.org: An Equal Rights Reason To Watch The Super Bowl]
[RH Reality Check: CBS Allows Anti-Choice Super Bowl Ad Despite "No Advocacy In Advertising" Policy]

Source Source Source

Filed under: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

7 Responses to “Cotton Candy, Sweet And Low, Reprzentasian In The Super Bowl!”

I’ve never really paid much attention to football, but I sure am now. My 2 1/2 year old loves football. I don’t know where he gets it from, but his enthusiasm makes the whole family happy. So now we watch football, just to see his excitement.
    I know this doesn’t have too much to do with your post, but I thought you might appreciate the mental image of a cute little Eurasian football fan. :-)

well, clearly you know our weaknesses! AWWWWWW.

3. PoweredByRice says:

Scott Fujita’s got a fascinating bio. He is fully Caucasian, but was raised by a Japanese father and white mother. He considers himself culturally Japanese:

You have some sort of freakish radar for hot people don’t you?

so hot, right? and as honorasian as you get!

Scott Fujita = Whitest Asian dude or Asianest white dude there ever was, I can’t decide.

GO SAINTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. PoweredByRice says:

I gotta say though….that whole “Saints go marchin in!” bit is gonna get REALLY old, REALLY fast…..