Calling All Ninjas: Joe Lieberman Threatens To Filibuster Public Option

October 28th, 2009 | 8 comments | Posted by Jen

Remember how a few weeks ago, we told you about a “Ninja” who was threatening to kick Joe Lieberman’s ass in Connecticut, but we were like, Whoa, whoa, Ninja, let’s wait to see what he can do with Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell, the repeal of which Lieberman was rumored to be heading up?

Joe-ninja

It’s unclear whether Lieberman has made any progress on that front, and now Senator Grimace Face is up to his old tricks again, namely, screwing Democrats, by threatening to join Republicans in a filibuster of any health care bill that would carry a public option.

For any of you confused about what the public option is, watch this simple, succinct explanation given by economist, former Secretary of Labor, and really smart man Robert Reich:

[via HuffPo]

The public option is just that: an option. What it does is make private insurance companies offer competitive, i.e. lower-cost, and higher-quality health care. Republicans are trying to demonize it as the government taking away the public’s heath care choices when that couldn’t be further from the truth.

So, uh, where were we?

Oh, right, we were talking about kicking Joe Lieberman’s ass.

Ninjas, unite! To the Washington rooftops!

[CNN: Public option would lead him to filibuster, key senator says]

Filed under: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

8 Responses to “Calling All Ninjas: Joe Lieberman Threatens To Filibuster Public Option”

1. xyien says:

Joe Lieberman may not be the most principled man in the Senate, but how is he any different from other senators? They all are products of our corrupt system.

2. Nicotone says:

He’s different because I wouldn’t call Barbara Boxer a piece of shit. He’s different because I wouldn’t call Chuck Schumer unloyal. He’s different because I wouldn’t call Bernie Sanders unprincipled. He’s a a back stabbing rat.

3. phomasta says:

Wat da pho

we take dat guy Down Town

wit some Kung Fu Mah Jong

4. xyien says:

“He’s different because I wouldn’t call Barbara Boxer a piece of shit. ”

A lot of people, including me, have called BB a piece of shit.
    Watch her racist conduct at a hearing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FE_jGD5nZ6U And Barbara Boxer is one of the 32 leading Democratic liberals who denounced the Goldstone report, which detailed Israel’s war crimes in Gaza.

“He’s different because I wouldn’t call Chuck Schumer unloyal.”

C.S has consistently defended Israel through it worst crimes. I would call that disloyal to humanity. when Gaza was under assault from Israel, he was at the rally. Watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQJOX4sUq30

“He’s different because I wouldn’t call Bernie Sanders unprincipled.”

I admire and respect Bernie Sanders. Given his records, I wouldn’t call him unprincipled, either. Then again, he is an independent and doesn’t seek endorsement from either parties. A rare breed.

“He’s a a back stabbing rat.
    This “everyone else is doing it,” argument is weak and leads to obtuse reasoning and justification of heinous acts.”

He was a back stabbing rat then. Why the Democratic party chose him to be Al Gore’s running mate? They seemed to like their rat.

He is an independent now. He doesn’t have to toe any party line. How is his joining of Republicans in a filibuster considered a heinous act?

It seems to me the so-called liberal left are very selective in their outrage.

5. Nicotone says:

I wont delve too deeply on the issue of Israel or anyone’s support of Israel for fear that what I say might be misconstrued as antisemitism. The loyalty I was alluding to was that of Lieberman’s to the Democratic party. You’re using semantics to define words to better suit your argument.

I don’t think Israel has carte blache to do as they wish just because The United States stands behind them, nor any of our allies. What Israel is doing in Gaza is unjust.

I move in social circles with Tristan Anderson, who was hit in the head with a tear-gas canister while protesting the Israeli occupation of Gaza. We’re not selective in our outrage at all, we’re outraged by everything. If we could, we’d vote out almost all current Democratic members of congress and have them replaced with progressive, further left-leaning candidates. It should be noted we are trying to do the same with Republicans.

We don’t foment faux outrage over such issues as birth certificates or ACORN. We have real outrage involving real issues such as DOMA, DADT, Iraq, Afghanistan, Health Care Reform. Obama has no free pass from us. We’ve been harder on him and the Democratic members of Congress in these past nine months than the Right ever was of Bush during his eight years in office. Point in case, we’re pissed off at Joe Lieberman who caucuses with us.

You calling Barbara Boxer a Piece of shit has no bearing. I said “I wouldn’t call” her one.

Although it’s a shitty move I never said Lieberman siding with the GOP was a heinous act, I said group think, the reasoning that it is okay to do something because everyone else is doing it can lead to heinous acts. It doesn’t mean it will but it opens up avenues that lead us there.

Oh and Lieberman is still a rat, as is John Edwards, I never liked either of those fuckers. Al Gore made a number of mistakes in the 2000 campaign, most notably, choosing Lieberman as his running mate.

Before you go on your anti-Israel campaign, read what is written first before you start making arguments. Otherwise, you just seem frivolous. As if you are searching for any outlet from which to spew your anti-Israel rhetoric.

6. xyien says:

You’re the one who brought up Boxer and Schumer. If you used them as shining examples, the exact opposite of Lieberman, I have to respectfully disagree with your assessment. I am not anti Israel;I am critical of Israel’s policies. I think you have enough brain cells to comprehend the difference between the two. I am often critical of China’s policies too. But neither am I anti China nor anti Israel. However, our tax money doesn’t go to China, whereas billions of Dollars+aid are doled out to Israel every year. As a tax payer, I think I am entitled to voice my opinion with regard to Sen. Boxer and Sen. Schumer.

If you don’t want to talk about Israel, do you want to talk about the Democrats’ role in deregulating the financial markets? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU8Z-Olvv30 or do you want to talk about the Democrat’s role in starting the Iraq war? or the Wall Street bailout? The president is a Democrat, and Congress is controlled by Democrats. What have they achieved?

Picking Lierberman as Gore’s running mate was a mistake? I thought the left don’t make mistake. Can you tell me why should Lieberman be loyal to the Democratic party, when he is an independent? Aren’t you against group think? I am sick of the left’s hypocrisy and rhetoric.

“If we could, we’d vote out almost all current Democratic members of congress and have them replaced with progressive, further left-leaning candidates. It should be noted we are trying to do the same with Republicans.”

well, you can start with a real campaign finance reform. And less empty slogan, less ideology and more practical approach.

7. CKShaw says:

xyien seems to read far too much into Nicotone’s statements. Of course our tax dollars go to China. Maybe xyien should read http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/08/business/worldbusiness/08yuan.html . We don’t provide much by way of direct aid to China as we do with Israel, but China can’t own $1 Trillion dollars of US debt without the US sending tax dollars their way.

I think Dems and Repubs are tired of Lieberman. He’s the Tasmanian Devil wearing a Senator Costume. He is wreaking havoc in his wake and justifies his actions by claiming he just went out to mow the lawn. That’s not independent. That’s living with a Borderline. Living with a Borderline will make the strongest of people an anxious mess.

8. xyien says:

CKShaw, http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/08/business/worldbusiness/08yuan.html (China Losing Taste for Debt From U.S. ). That’s the article you want me to read? Seriously, you need to take an eco class. It’s a wise move for China to dump American dollars. If our leaders don’t get their act together, our economy as we know it will end.

And speaking of the country that receives the most foreign aid from the U.S., The House is scheduled to vote on condemning the Goldstone report on Tuesday.

In addition, from AP. http://www.longislandpress.com/2009/10/31/clinton-makes-personal-bid-to-resume-mideast-talks/

Before Obama was Obama(senator and later president), he once said “Palestinians suffer the most.” Look at what he is doing now.

So many Democrats, so much phony outrage. Lieberman is wreaking havoc in his wake? you say.

“A top aide to Abbas, Saeb Erekat, said in a phone interview with The Associated Press that Clinton had asked Abbas to allow Israel’s government to complete building 3,000 units in Jewish settlements in the West Bank, and to allow the government to construct public buildings and continue construction in east Jerusalem — a territory Palestinians hope will be their future capital.

Clinton’s request would be a major change for the U.S. administration, which previously had demanded Israel halt all settlement building before negotiations could resume.”