Angry Asian Man first warned y’all about this Salesgenie.com Super Bowl ad, which aired yesterday to the tune of $90,000 per second and illustrates the all-too-familiar plight of immigrants with small businesses struggling to make ends meet:
And while everyone’s now talking about why this commercial is ricist, I want to focus on something else. Something important. Something really important:
Why the Panda Psychic does not have an accent.
A few theories…
- The Panda Psychic was adopted by English speakers at a young, pre-verbal age.
- The Panda Psychic is first-generasian. She was born in the States and is like any other red-blooded, Doritos-eating, gigantic pearl necklace-wearing American.
- The Panda Psychic bought an accent eliminasian CD-ROM for $49.95 and lost her accent in 28 days.
- The Panda Psychic is pretty. Pretty pandas don’t talk weird.
- Wait, what’s a CD-ROM again?
- Salesgenie.com is actually a subversive political organization that challenges stereotyping through bogus television advertising. One of the group’s many goals is to raise the bar on our discourse about race and identity. They know that what’s racist is the belief that ALL pandas speak in THE SAME ching-chong accents. I mean, jeez, what’s next…that all pandas look alike, too?
Filed under: Accent Eliminasian, CD-ROMS, Pandas, Psychics, Racist Commercials, Ricism, Sofaz, The Super Bowl
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.